| In this exercise you will look at some web technologies which feature in the popular media. Are these the future of the web?|
Dynamic web sites:
- Find some services at "Lake Macquarie" using Google Maps. Zoom the map in and out and note the way the image changes, without the need to press "refresh". Will the web connection at your home be fast enough for this to work?
- What are the directions to get from Lake Macquarie City Council at 126 Main Rd, Speers Point, NSW 2284 to 29 Smith St, Charlestown, NSW 2290?
- How could you use this in your web pages?
"Social Networking" emphasizes the use of the web for collaboration between people, rather than official information being distributed from one source. Such web sites commonly use dynamic web page design to make the collaboration quicker and easier.
Watch as the demonstrator searches LinkedIn for people he knows. What do the Relationship indicators "Connected to you" and "2 or 3 degrees away" represent? How useful are these for "connecting" business purposes?
- MySpace is used by young people to forms groups of friends online. Search for mention of "Lake Macquarie". How many entries are there? What do the entries typically consist of? Who are the users of this system?
- Are there any organizations mentioned in the pages? Are any of these official sites of the organizations? Should the organization have official entries and how would the content differ to a normal web page?
- How could you use this technology in your web pages?