- Self Watering Pots
- SBS TV Ecohouse Challenge
- Home and Leisure Technology for Environmental Efficiency
- Technology for Energy and Water Efficient Houses
- Eco-cities and Urban Villages
- City Edge Apartments and Townhouses in Canberra
- Energy and Water Efficient Home Design in Canberra
- Environmentally Sustainable Housing
- Balcony Worm Farm
- Wall mount your TV
- Widescreen LCD TV
- Barbecue in an Attache Case
- Internet Bar Fridge?
- Dual flush toilet cistern
- Home Technology Convergence, for the Face the IT Media Forum 2004, 20 September 2004
- Presentation to the Canberra City Rotary Club, Tuesday 6 May 2003
- Planning not cost is key to success, Adrian Lynch, The Australian, 20 May 2003
- Products for the Smart Apartment
- Bauhaus Presentation, Wednesday June 12, 2002, Sydney
- City Edge Apartment, Photographs from an inspection 11 December 2001
- Technology for the Smart Apartment
- Smart Apartment for the Disabled?
- Smart Apartment Prize Winning Design
This project is for the the design and construction of an Internet connected home office or 'smart apartment'. It is planned to be built into a pre-designed one bedroom unit at the City Edge development in O'Connor, Canberra. As well as providing the design for a real apartment, it is intended the design documents will be published to promote the design of net connected homes and offices.
A draft set of requirements were prepared in March 2001 for a professional interior designer to work from. However, these were considered too restrictive and limiting for a creative designer. To explore ideas for the 'smart apartment' a proposal was put to the Department of Science and Design, University of Canberra for their interior design students to undertake it as a course project. Mr Ross Anderson, Associate Lecturer, Architecture and Building, Department of Science and Design, University of Canberra responded and the project was set as a design studio project for second semester 2001.
The design of an Internet connected home was seen as relevant and contemporary design challenge for students. Previous efforts to design internet enabled homes have been relatively superficial. The requirements document for the Smart Apartment will be revised to give more scope for interior design students to deal with issue of spatial planning, colours, etc. However, architecturally endorsing the City Edge development in O'Connor was not considered appropriate for a course. At Mr Anderson's suggestion the project was changed to re-fitting an apartment in a building designed by the Swiss architect Le Corbusier.
The apartment building Unite d'habitation was to be a self-contained 'vertical city', with modular housing units for 1600 people, internal streets and community services.
While having been designed decades ago, Unite d'habitation has a design similar to current open plan apartments.
Tomw Communications Pty Ltd agreed to donate a small cash prize for the best apartment design. This was awared to Ian Douglas on 8th November 2001 at the End of Year Exhibition for the Interior Design Students of the University of Canberra.
Proposal for studying Unite d'habitation and description of it by Mr Ross Anderson.
- eUnite Requirements: Final Version by Ross Anderson; Original Version, 6 March 2001 and Revised Version, 2 May 2001 by Tom Worthington;
- Unite d'Habitation, Great Buildings Online, Kevin Matthews, Artifice, Inc 1994
- MetaCrawler Search for Unite d'Habitation, InfoSpace, Inc, 2000
- Photographs and plans of from UNIV 118A: THE CREATIVE DRIVE: CREATIVITY IN ARCHITECTURE, MUSIC AND SCIENCE, Dr. Justin Wyss-Gallifent, University of Maryland, 2000
- Le Corbusier 1946: 'Unite d'Habitation, Marseille-Michelet', by Le Corbusier Archive, 1983, Garland Publishing. ISBN: 0-8240-5066-7 (Volume 2): 'Complement du plan A6010 (voir fiche 26.478) /Perspective, plan et coupe de l'armoire et de la planche a repasser, detail en coupe avec cotes et indications en tirage, nombreuses observations et questions ajourtees au tirage a l'encure bleue / Encre bleue sur tirage helio / Papier tirage / 0,44 x 0,63 / 26.479' in
Modular, Energy and Water Efficient Houses
Home office design
- General books on home office design
- Galfetti, G. Model Apartments
- Mack, L. Making the Most of Work Spaces. Rizzoli, 1995
- Parikh, A. Making the Most of Small Spaces. Rizzoli, 1994
- Zelinsky, M. Practical Home Office Solutions. McGraw-Hill, 1999
- Zimmerman, N. Home Office Design. John Wiley and Sons, 1996
- General books on Unite d'Habitation
- Boesiger, W. (ed.) Le Corbusier. The Complete Architectural Works. Thames and Hudson, 1966
- Ching, F. Architecture: Form, Space and Order. Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1979
- Ford, E. The Details of Modern Architecture. Volume 2, 1928-1988. MIT Press, 1996
- Frampton, K. Modern Architecture: A Critical History. Thames and Hudson, 1992
- Jordan, R. Le Corbusier. J M Dent & Sons, 1972